Welcome to Anlaby.
Anlaby has been a thriving community for a 1000 years. In the 9th Century a Dane called Anlaf made his home between Hessle and Kirk Ella. From those humble beginnings, it slowly developed into a village of real character.
It was a quiet rural community, despite its close proximity to the ancient settlement of Wyke, later to become the city of Kingston Upon Hull.
Two families dominated the scene in Anlaby in its formative years. First came the Anlaby’s, direct descendents of Anlaf. Then there were the Legards, still (like Anlaf) remembered in the street names in the village. Of Norman descent the Legards were the villages most influential family for around 800 years.
In the 19th Century, when Hull started to flourish as a major sea port, the merchants who grew rich out of its trade, started to cast their eyes beyond the city boundary. Seeing Anlaby as a fine place in which to live. In 1800 the village had just 300 people, a century later it was home to 800.
In recent times the village has seen tremendous change, but it has still managed to retain its characteristic village atmosphere. When I came to Anlaby in May 1994, the village was clearly split between the busy row of shops that now has Sainsbury’s Local, myself, and a couple of banks in the middle, and the very quiet area around the Red Lion Court, which had a lot of empty shops.
Today however, Anlaby has evolved into a vibrant village, with a diverse mix of shops. All parts of the village are busy and well supported by shoppers. It is one of the last little villages you can actually nip into, and get everything you need!
At the moment there are a couple of sites in Anlaby that are being re-developed and new shops being built. This can only improve what is already a fantastic place to shop and live.
“Let’s hope the East Riding Council listens to its Public and scraps its Car Parking Charges policy, leaving what is clearly of beneficial support to both its local people and businesses.”
Sixties shopping in Anlaby. The Hull Road shops...this was the scene in the mid-Sixties. Note the design of the cars.
A village street. This was Wilson Street many years ago. Clearly seen on the right are the premises which are now Alexanders Hair Design, but were most recently occupied by Anlaby Newsagency. Previous shops that were in this block were Brown's Greens (formerly Blackith's) and Sonley's Garage.
By kind permission of Yorkshire Pride